Technoir: Skin City Romance
- Period of worldwide pandemics that cause heavy depopulation and a long-term disruption to manufacturing and infrastructure repair.
- Incredible breakthroughs in biochemistry and genetic engineering.
- Depletion of high-energy fuels and materials such as lumber and steel.
- Solar, wind, tidal, chemical, hydrogen, geothermal, and organic energy sources become the norm and centers of population rely upon a localized and diverse energy base.
- Computing has moved to an optical and holographic paradigm, but energy and resource concerns keep many city networks isolated from each other.
- Corporate entities have effectively subsumed the role of government in many parts of the world.
- Much old and outdated equipment is still used, until it falls into a state of disrepair due to lack of resources and the difficulty and cost of manufacturing replacement parts.